These delicious cheese balls are great for the whole family, including your weaning baby! Who would say no to these tasty little snacks?
We had lots of fun making these cheese balls and the kids especially loved them. They are even great served in your little ones’ lunch box for school…go on, they will love you for it! They are super tasty served with homemade tomato sauce, perfect as a baby led weaning meal.Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 Adult portions
3 tbsp olive oil1 small onion, finely chopped2 garlic cloves, crushed115g risotto rice500ml hot low-salt vegetable stock6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped115g baby leaf spinach2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese200g mozzarella ball, cut into 8 pieces1 egg, beaten115g polenta
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice, then gradually pour in the stock, one ladleful at a time, stirring constantly until absorbed.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach and Parmesan and stir well. Season with black pepper and leave to cool for 1 hour.
- Shape the mixture into 8 balls and push a piece of mozzarella into the centre of each one. Flatten the balls slightly to form small cakes. Leave to chill for 30 minutes.
- Put the beaten egg on one plate and the polenta on another. Dip the balls in the egg, then in the polenta.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and cook the cakes in 2 batches for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and serve.
Weaning and Storage
6 months+ – Introduce as a finger food for baby to pick up and self feed. Add dips such as Tomato Sauce to increase variety.